What are the dates of WFAF?
April 12 + 13, 2024 with an ingress day April 11 2024
What are the hours of WFAF?
Friday April 12 12-9 + Saturday April 13 10-8
Where is WFAF?
Red River Exhibition Place, located in Winnipeg, Manitoba
What type of artist can apply?
We welcome a variety of artists who create original work. With mediums including watercolour, oil, acrylic, alcohol ink, encaustic, fibre, photography, drawing, printmaking etc. We also believe art doesn't just hang on the wall so we also display glasswork, stone carving, wood carving, ceramics, sculpture etc.
How are artists chosen?
Each applying artist is juried by 6 jurists who are looking for skill, creativity, potential, originality, etc.
I haven't displayed professionally before, can I still apply?
We encourage emerging artists to apply, after all you have to start somewhere! If you visit our mission statement you see the importance we place on having a diverse artistic community and emerging artists are a big part of that.
Can out of Province artists apply?
Yes, out of Province artists can apply. We allow up to 10% of participating artists be from out of Province. In the event of artists competing for the same booth availability, and the jury is in a deadlock, the jury will award the spot to the Manitoba artist vs the maker who is out of province. Out of province applications could change with health restrictions.
What does "Original Work" Mean?
"Original” means a unique one-off piece or small edition print from the artists own hand. The design and concept must be of your own creation. Plagiarism will not be tolerated.
What is Plagiarism in art?
Plagiarism includes more than just "copying and pasting", or tracing. Any time you use content that is not your own, you need to give credit to the original creator. Imitation has a place in learning and skill development but you cannot sell or profit off another's work. You can still be inspired by a source, if you take little bits and pieces from many different sources and alter and combine them in new ways, you've now created something new and original—then you've created art. We can all influence and inspire each other, so long as we are creating and sharing from a place of honesty and transparency. It is considered plagiarism using another's pattern, even if you make the piece yourself.
Can I have prints/reproductions of my work displayed as well?
Yes, you can have prints of your original pieces, cards etc. displayed at your booth but these must make not take up more then 25% of your booth display. No commercially produced products including mugs, bags, t-shirts, clothes, aprons, mouse pads, pencils, pens, magnets, etc. are to be displayed at this time. If you have items such as book marks etc. that are original hand made by you these are allowed as they are not commercially produced and qualify as Original work.
I submitted my application, how do I know if I was accepted?
You will be emailed within 2-3 weeks of applying if we have accepted your application. At that time we will ask you to pay for your booth within 2-3 weeks of your acceptance email to reserved your spot.
I was accepted but I never paid, am I still able to be in WFAF?
If you did not pay your booth fee then your spot was not reserved. You will have to reapply to see if a booth is still available.
If I display in 2024 am I automatically juried in 2025?
No, acceptance is on a year by year basis. You must reapply for each event and be juried in. This is done to ensure equitable access.
Is there a bursaries available?
Our bursary program is currently at capacity.
We are an INC non-profit and our mission statement speaks to how important access and equality in the artistic community and larger community is to us. We have several categories, but a limited number of bursaries available. Therefore, just because you qualify in a category does not mean there is a spot available. Apply early for the best chance to receive a bursary. These bursaries are made possible by our sponsors. In future, if more bursaries become available our juried artists will be notified and have the chance to apply for one.
How much are bursaries?
The bursaries are in the amount of $1000. This will cover your 16ft booth fees and electrical if needed. The remaining balance of the bursary will be provided to you to help you get started. This money must be used in the creation of your art or display. (eg, paint, brushes, business cards, table cloth)
What is provided?
We provide you with a pegboard wall to hang your art and the hooks to hang it with. Also included are 2 chairs, wifi, name tags, marketing material, parking, wrapping table, communal storage away from your booth, features on our website & social media. And best of all the opportunity to showcase your art and network within the art community.
What types of booths are available?
There are 4 types of spaces available:
1. 16ft Hanging Pegboard Space ( $750 including GST): comprised of 4 free standing pegboard panels each 8ft high x 4ft long
2. 16ft Hanging Pegboard Space ($550): comprised of 2 free standing pegboard panels 4ft by 8ft long
2. 24ft Hanging Pegboard Space ( $1100 including GST)
3. 16ft Curtained Space( $750 including GST): These spots are for artists whose work does not hang such as glass & sculpture.
What will my spot look like?
1. You will have a 16ft pegboard wall with a 8 ft long half size curtain dividing/ separating you from the next booth. You will have 4 pegboards. Each pegboard is 8 ft tall by 4ft long and starts 3" off the ground. The legs extend past the board ½” on each side, so putting them side by side there would be a 1” gap between each board. You can hang you work across the gap between panels. If you want a table you can bring your own 6ft or 8ft table wrapped in floor length black or white table cloth. Place your table approximately 4 feet from your wall to ensure room for patrons to view your art from the front. Up to two tables allowed in a 16ft space. You can bring other items such as easels provided they do not encroach or interfere with your neighbours space.
2. You will have a 16ft pegboard wall with a 8 ft long half size curtain dividing/ separating you from the next booth. You will have 2 pegboards. Each pegboard is 4 ft tall by 8ft long . The legs extend past the board ½” on each side, so putting them side by side there would be a 1” gap between each board. You can hang your work across the gap between panels. You can make the most of this space by hanging large pieces at the bottom of your board. If you want a table you can bring your own 6ft or 8ft table wrapped in floor length black or white table cloth. Place your table approximately 4 feet from your wall to ensure room for patrons to view your art from the front. Up to two tables allowed in a 16ft space. You can bring other items such as easels provided they do not encroach or interfere with your neighbours space.
3. You will have a 24ft pegboard wall with a 8 ft long half size curtain dividing/ separating you from the next booth. The pegboard is approx. 8 ft tall and you can it fill top to bottom or display a more minimal gallery style. If you want a table you can bring your own 6ft or 8ft table wrapped in floor length black or white table cloth. Up to three tables allowed in a 24ft space. You can bring other items such as easels provided they do not encroach or interfere with your neighbours space.
3. You will have a 16ft curtained space with a 8 ft long half size curtain dividing / separating you from the next booth. These spots differ in blank backdrop that allows you to set up tables or plinths in any configuration or design that suits you. You are allowed multiple tables, plinths, or other display pieces as long as they do not encroach on other booths. Your tables should be covered to the floor with black or white table cloths.
Why is a table + cover not provided?
Many artists already have folding tables and covers from previous events or sales they have attended, some even have their own branded table cloths! In the interest of keeping booth costs as minimal as possible it is in the artists best interests to provide their own. The cost of our rental supplier is prohibitive on this item and it would be more economical for our artists to invest in their own table if they do not already have one. If you have issues providing your own table you can make a note in your application or reach out to us and we can provide you a table at an additional cost.
The venue is brightly lit and we will be keeping all the lights on. If you feel extra lighting is necessary for your setup you can indicate that on your application and we can provide you with a spot with available electricity. The venue charges an additional $60 electrical drop per booth, this cost will be passed on to you and payable at the time of your booth fees.
How will I hang my art?
We provide you with pegboard hooks suitable for hanging art, these must be returned at the end of your show. It is highly encouraged that your art is ready to hang for the convenience of your customers. This means for framed pieces, canvas's etc, having D rings, eye hooks, with wire etc. Sawtooth hangers are acceptable. ***Please do not hang your art without hardware directly on the pegboard, this puts your artwork at risk of being damaged when hung by you or a customer.
What is the wrapping table?
The wrapping will be located close to the front, near the entrance. There will be complimentary bubble wrap to safely wrap your large pieces. This a volunteer supervised station, you must bring your customer and the work of art to the station and wrap it yourself. You know your art best, and therefore the best way to protect it. The volunteer is not responsible for checking receipts or for the safety of the artwork. Processing of payment should be made prior.
How will people buy my art?
You are responsible for the sales processing of your work. There are many systems available such as Square, Moneris, etc. While you can also accept things like e-transfer, cash, cheque. There is wifi available.
Own price tags
You are responsible for making your own price tags, it is recommended these tags have the following information: Title of piece, size, medium, price.
Displaying my name/ can I use my logo?
As many of our artist have logos already we are not providing a nameplate for each booth. You are responsible for showing your name/logo. We look forward to seeing all the unique and beautiful designs you have. Some ideas of how to display your name are: a framed sign on your table, having your logo printed on your table cloth, a sign displayed on your wall.
Who is responsible for my booth?
We are using a service which provides and sets up/ takes down the pegboards & curtains. You are responsible for setting up your artwork within you booth and providing your table. During the show it is your responsibility to have yourself or another manning your booth. It is recommended you have an assistant with you to help and provide relief for breaks, meals, etc.
What about art storage?
Many small works can be stored under a table or hidden under your display. It won't be currently possible for all to store large works behind your booth. We will provide a communal art storage space at the back of the venue. This space is not unlimited and not supervised.
What does set up look like?
Closer to the date we will provide you with the time your setup will be able to start. You will be able to set up during the day or evening of April 11. There will be a welcome package at your booth with hooks, information etc. The map of the layout will be provided in advance so you know where to setup. An organizer will be on hand to answer questions.
Is this a ticketed event?
Yes, this is a ticketed event! Tickets will be sold in advance and at the door. Stay tuned for more ticket information to come.
If I paid my booth fees but find I am later unable to attend?
Cancellations must be made 60 days prior to the show. If you've cancelled prior to February 12 2024 you will be refunded 75% of the fees, 25% is held back for administration costs. No refunds or cancellations after February 12 2024. In case of sickness you are responsible for having your booth set up and manned in your absence at your expense.
What happens in the event of unforeseeable circumstances?
In the event of another COVID closure, earthquake, hurricane, flood or other unforeseeable circumstance we will make every effort to allow the event to continue. If the event must be re scheduled you can roll your fees into the next event, or receive a full refund less a $50 administration fee.
We are an inclusive community with a commitment to creating and maintaining respect for human rights, and fostering equality and inclusion. We encourage participating artists to develop empathy and respect for everyone. Inappropriate behaviour: discrimination, bias, harassment, unfairness, is not tolerated. Non-inclusive behaviour: use of words, humour, gestures, other acts or omissions that cause offence, is not tolerated. An artist who feels victimized or witness's these behaviours should report it to the organizers whose job it is to mediate the situation. An offending artist / person will be asked to leave the event with no chance of refund for violating the inclusive community guidelines. There is a zero tolerance policy for violence or harassment.